1.08.2013

♥♥♥ SOME AMAZING AMAZING STUFF! ♥ AMY DAVIS' POP ROCKS ♥♥♥

Yes! I cover a lot of Amy Davis on here. But let me break it down for you. When I was a wee teen (not a tween but def still in my teens), I coveted a ton of magazines, having always known I wanted to write and work in the magazine industry and fashion, and I also loved all those cooler (much cooler back then, too) indie magazines. One of them being Paper magazine, and especially Amy Davis' Style Fiends fashion column, which was illustrated and told a story in every issue and showed me things I had never seen before in my LA-suburb neck of the woods. I still have every issue. When I went off to journalism school (college), I  accidentally fell into a very big job as a publicity director for what became a very huge brand of multiple brands including one very massive cult label that features a little girl with black hair and dress and some cats (enough said...but yes...I'M the one who made that little strange girl famous). At the time, this company was licensing Amy's images for some T-shirt graphics...and I was so excited to meet her when she came into the studio. Like really amazingly awe-struck geeked-out excited. And she was as cool in person as her characters are in her illustrations/drawings. 

POP ROCKS TEASER! A GLIMPSE INTO A CHARACTER FROM MY NOVEL, ARCADIA!
Fast forward and she has to this day been such an inspiration and has done so much (film maker/star, rockstar, art star, she did eons of seasons for LeSportsac-one of my utmost favorite brands of bags, worked with so many galleries and always has the best best makeup and skincare tips EVER)...AND I have been lucky enough to still be friends with her and her amazing hubby, Jon Moritsugu (whom I've mentioned on here a million times, too). When I finished the novel, I would dream that one day maybe Amy would feel inspired by my characters and story and want to illustrate anything from the book. Though I didn't know if it would happen...I could still dream about it. :) Well...my dream came true in a HUGE HUGE WAY! Not only has Amy told me how much she loves my book (and she is not giving compliments away here...she is a self-professed snob and if she says she loves something to you...you best believe she really means it!)...BUT she ALSO ILLUSTRATED ONE OF THE CHARACTERS FOR HER NEW AMAZING BLOG, YUMMY DRESS! ON TOP OF THAT, there's the coolest recipe to accompany the illustration!!!!!!! Also inspired by the book! PLUS, if you haven't been over there yet to read the recipes...you should because they are gourmet gourmet! And look really amazing (yes..I over use that word but so be it). 

CLICK ON IMAGE TO SEE HOW HEAVY METAL TEEN GIRLS LOOKED IN THE 1980'S!

The post is titled POP ROCKS (which I love). It's pretty insane how she got exactly what I was thinking. It's a really pure surreal experience to have one of your favorite artists and fashion people read your work and then draw something inspired by it! The character she has inked up is named TESS and she got her perfectly (takes a badass to know a badass). You'll love the list of fashion credits (as I always do) and makeup credits (as I always do), and the recipe is equally genius...it's for MOCK-CHOS. Amy had the idea to do these (I guess now gourmet) nachos that use potato chips...like, the girls in the book are stoned and want nachos but there are no corn chips, so they end up using potato chips! I love it. 

I love this eye makeup!
OK OK OK. I will shut up now. I just wanted to really say more than a simple "go here and see this" kind of post because this is such an amazing thing that it still has not sunk in that she's done this. It's a big deal when your creative friends support your work and raise you up even higher...because not everyone does that. 

So without further adieu...GO SEE THE POP ROCKS POST AND SUB TO HER BLOG AND PLEASE COME BACK AND TELL ME HOW YOU LOVED IT! 

(THANK YOU, AMY, FOR ALWAYS BEING SUCH AN IMMENSE SUPPORT AND INSPIRATION AND FOR ILLUSTRATING ONE OF THE GIRLS FROM MY NOVEL SO AMAZINGLY AND PERFECTLY! AND...FOR INTRODUCING ME TO MOCK-CHOS! MY LIFE WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AGAIN!!! XXXXXXXXX)

(tweet it, blog it, pin it, talk about it...cuz this is a big deal for me! XXX)

No comments: