8.17.2011

WED WONDER ♥ REAL GEISHA ESSENTIALS

GEISHA WEEK ON NANCY GIRL!

While doing research, looking up some fun things for GEISHA WEEK, I came across the most amazing website called Hanari-Ya that stocks essential Geisha items, including skincare and cosmetics and other fun things. Below is an insight into the world of the REAL GEISHA...you will def love this...it's very very interesting...with some of the items, you don't have to be a Geisha to use them or want them. Some of them are so amazing and beautiful, some haunting, some complete odd, but still amazing...

First let me make a clarification and explain the difference between a GEISHA and a MAIKO. From what I've read, a Maiko is a sort of a Geisha-in-training, an apprentice. I think I read it means "dancing child". There's also a difference when it comes to the kimono Geisha and a Maiko wear. A website I read said a Maiko's kimono is more ornate, brighter colors, etc. I also read that one does not have to be a Maiko to become a Geisha. But it is an avenue to it. Sounds like a good one to learn the ropes. I also called a Geisha a courtesan before. But it's not what they were/are. Well, I don't think they are. But the early Geishas (I'll have a post about a great Samurai documentary that talks about the origins of a Geisha) said they were far from the courtesan, who really entertained with sexual offerings. The Geisha, on the other hand, was/is an entertainer...like a real entertainer who can play music and dance and sing and discuss world topics. I dunno. I guess there might be some who deviate, but I think the tradition is a gorgeous, mysterious, unique and gorgeous one.You can read more about Maikos and Geishas and the difference here. Onto the goods...

authentic Geisha cosmetics to for authentic Geishas:
of course everything looks gorgeous.
abc's of making up into a Geisha!
SAKURA AND MOMIJI MIRROR AND COMB SET
SHIRO-NURI PRO RED BENI...this is moistened with water and used with a brush to get that gorgeous essential red lip of the Geisha!
NATURAL JAPANESE WASHI RICE PAPER FACIAL MASK!
KYOTO MAIKO FACE & BODY SOAPS..."MACHA" GREEN TEA OR "KOME NUKA" RICE BRAN. AMAZING.
how gorgeous are these soaps?!?!
HONTOH TSUBAKI PURE CAMELIA HAIR OIL
KYOTO GEISHA "MAKO-HAN" BLACK MASCARA
REAL KYOTO GEISHA MAIKO LIPSTICK BRUSH BENI-FUDE (TO BE USED WITH THAT RED PRO RED BENI ABOVE!)
GION MAIKO-SAN STRAWBERRY LIP CREAM FROM KYOTO
REAL 7-INCH MAIKO SILK "YANAGI" WISTERIA (HANDMADE) HANA KANZASHI HAIR ORNAMENT!
OMG I LOVE THIS.

 I'll have to continue this into a part 2 post as there are way way too many items I want to feature on here...including something amazing crazy and a staple Geisha item! So stay tuned for part 2 of the GEISHA ESSENTIALS! How amazing are all of these items? And traditional. And beautiful packaging. Just amazing.♡




images from hanari-ya

No comments: