8.08.2010

SUNDAY MATINEE ♥ BARDI JOHANNSSON



I love Bang Gang. Bang Gang is from Iceland and the melodic magic of Bardi Johannsson. Bardi is one of the most unique people I've ever met in my life. He's a true rockstar, a devotedly driven creator, a freak of nature, a mad scientist of sorts. He's also incredibly incredibly stylish in everything he produces, in his own style and even with the circle of people he tends to hang out with. The way I met him is such a strange and long story (beyond anything you could ever imagine) while I was in Iceland covering the music festival called Iceland Airwaves for Dazed and Oyster. He pretty much hijacked me after he realized I was being swindled by some non-rockers trying to woo me into a story. "Why are you hanging out with them? They're not a real band..." is all he said and our adventure began. (One day I'll turn it into a book or screenplay.)

Ghosts from the Past is such an awesome record.
Since then, which was many years ago, he and I have remained friends. And even though I think he's such a rad freak, I would still love his music even if I didn't know him. It's the kind of music you hear when you end up at a new friend's lovely Parisian apt and wonder "What is that record they're playing?"... It's the kind of music you listen to if you like good stylee music...real music. 

Bardi has a lot of projects coming out soon, and because I think he's one of the most amazing people (or aliens) I know, I had to ask him to tell me about them....

Bang Gang's Bardi Johannsson

WHAT ARE YOU WORKING ON/HAVE COMING UP? A NEW RECORD?  
Currently I am working on a collection of my theater and film work of the last 10 years. I am mixing some selected pieces again for a digital release planned in the fall. This collection will be released under my name, Bardi Johannsson.

TELL ME ABOUT THE NEW BANG GANG STUFF...AND DESCRIBE THE CURRENT BANG GANG SOUND IN YOUR WORDS...
The last Bang Gang album, Ghosts From the Past is like the title is referring, dealing with the past musically and lyrically. It is a bit more rocky than the previous ones, but I felt like some of the songs needed that treatment. I am currently writing songs on the fourth album to be released in 2011, and that is going to be a new dimension. Ghosts from the Past is a necessary link between Something Wrong and the forthcoming album.

TELL ME ABOUT THE CLOTHING COLLECTION? AND WHAT YOU LIKE ABOUT FASHION, I KNOW YOU'RE VERY STYLEE...WHAT DESIGNERS DO YOU LIKE A LOT?
Since I finished my one year studies of fashion design and clothes making, I have been dreaming about making my own clothing line. Finally now I felt it was the right moment. So along with the next Bang Gang album, I am launching a clothing label (still unnamed). We are working on the cuts and prints right now. It will be very rock'n'roll-friendly outfits with classical references.

SO EXCITING! WILL IT BE MENSWEAR OR...?
Womens clothes...dresses, skirts, cat suits, sweaters, etc...plus mens sweaters and T-shirts.

My favorite designer is Karl Lagerfeld. When I was young I read an interview he did, where he stated that he hated his childhood because he was aware that he was a child and therefore stupid. I fell in love with him since. Also he has managed to stay cool throughout all eras.

TELL ME ABOUT THE EYEGLASSES?
It has been very difficult for me when it comes to finding glasses. As I need to wear them 95% of my time when I am awake, they have to be very cool. I met Gunnar who is the designer of Reykjavik Eyes and really liked what they were doing. We decided to custom make glasses for me, and I just had the results. They look extra cool. Since our collaboration was working so well, we are planning to launch sunglasses together in the fall.

TELL ME ABOUT THE DIFFERENCE WITH CREATIVE VENTURES IN ICELAND AS OPPOSED TO THE US OR EUROPE...
In Iceland we can have things done more quickly than in bigger countries. We are quite small so everything is a phone call away.

CAN YOU DESCRIBE YOUR FAVORITE LOOK FOR A GIRL...AS I RECALL YOU HAVE A STRONG OPINION AND I THINK IT'S VERY NANCY GIRL...

My favorite look for a girl really depends on the girl... I would say that Debbie Harry quite often had her finger on the pulse. But generally a black outfit does something for me and smokey eyes don't harm. I would say that the new clothing line will definitely create the general look well for me. Not too many zippers, classical and sexy. ♡



images of Bardi photographed by Amy Barwell 

No comments: