4.01.2012

SUN MATINEE ♥ PARTY GIRL (SEX AND THE CITY IS A KNOCK OFF) ♥

OMG...I have been dying to do a post on this film PARTY GIRL from 1995 (though it looks way way 80s to me...or maybe....yeah, it does look 90s) for eons! But I could never find the opening credits...which is one of my favorite things about this film. I have literally watched the opening credits alone (featuring Lady Bunny and her panic over losing an earring..."It's a little plastic baby boy in a noose..."...PAY ATTENTION) maybe 100 times. It's that genius. Let me tell you something if you don't know this already...Sex And The City and Sarah Jessica Parker have NOTHING on PARTY GIRL and PARKER POSEY. This is pre SATC. But yes....at that time Pat Fields had a really crazy amazing shop right there in the middle of the East Village and everyone went there, hung out there, shopped there. So that is real. If you take a look at the clothes and looks on Parker especially, you will most definitely see why she comes first (and kills it) before Carrie Bradshaw. Thanks to Costume Designer for the film Michael Clancy. It's so authentic...this film. The designer love is in the film. I remember hearing about how drag queens were stealing from high-end designer shops. The walk-ups...you hardly ever hear about that...and if you don't know New York, then you don't know about all the walk-ups UP UP UP all those damn stairs. So real. The boys look real. The East Village (or anywhere in Manhattan) does not look like this anymore. Watch part 1:

UPDATE 11/2012...THESE PARTS HAVE BEEN REMOVED! :( I HAVE LOOKED AND LOOKED HIGH AND LOW FOR ANOTHER LINK OR WHATEVER AND HAVE NOT YET FOUND ONE. BUT I WILL UPLOAD ANYTHING I CAN FIND AS SOON AS I FIND SOMETHING! I SWEAR TO GOD THAT SARAH JESSICA PARKER IS MAKING SURE NO ONE WATCHES THIS FILM BECAUSE SHE IS SUCH A BLATANT KNOCK OFF OF THIS AMAZING AMAZING CHARACTER PLAYED BY PARKER POSEY...! :) 

(below are a couple of my favorite scenes from the film...)





The very first time I went to New York...was in the 90s...I was a teen and nervous to go there and get mugged. I had a very cool, young, hip, club kid cousin who was older and lived in the seedy East Village. And this film looks exactly like everything I ever saw there. All the girls looked like this. There were drag queens everywhere (I met a few famous ones at Webster Hall including Miss Understood, Lola and some others I can't remember the names of). So please...if you are a fan of fashion and/or Sex And The City and/or New York history or beautiful hot smart actresses like Parker Posey...watch this. I will post a couple of parts but then you can do to the channel and watch the rest yourselves. :) PS Parker was one of my dream interviews I didn't get to ever do. But if my novel ever becomes a movie, I will be chasing her down and begging her to be a part of it. PPS....the Party Girl soundtrack is awesome!♡


Some sneak peaks in the trailer ("Hello, Chanel!"):








a costume sketch by michael clancy for the film (these are from his website...i hope he doesn't get upset that i'm using them respectfully!)

another gorgeous amazing costume sketch for party girl by costume designer michael clancy

another amazing costume by michael clancy (from his website). i love these so so much!

more sunday matinee ♥ smashing time

No comments: