11.13.2011

SUNDAY MATINEE ♥ SONIC YOUTH & RODNEY BINGENHEIMER DOUBLE FEATURE *o*



I kept hearing this song in my head today...because, well, let me explain. I grew up in LA (Los Angeles, CA). And if you grew up in LA, esp in the 80s and 90s and before that, you listened to a lot of radio and KROQ used to be king. Especially Rodney Bingenheimer's show on Sunday nights (I think) at midnight. When everyone was asleep and I was supposed to be in bed, I would sit with my ear pressed against the stereo speaker and listen in to the most amazing Punk, New Wave and Mod bands. "Rodney On The ROQ" was an educator to me, a very important one. Because these are the bands who influenced the way I saw things and life, shaped my style, taught me how to be myself. Plus they were really really good bands. There were a few songs Rodney played frequently or played samples of on the way to a commercial, and one of them was the chorus for this SONIC YOUTH song called "KOOL THING". If you know of Sonic Youth, then you know this song and how hot Kim Gordon is. If not, then you are missing out on something VERY important. Even if you hate the song, you can get so much from watching the video, if you're into fashion.

I guess this should be considered a double feature. Because I totally forget there was a film made about Rodney called THE MAYOR OF THE SUNSET STRIP. The trailer is below. You should definitely see it. It's pretty amazing. I've also included a taping of Rodney's show where he interviews Joan Jett in the late 70s when she was still part of THE RUNAWAYS (like one of my all-time favorite bands...don't ask me if I liked the movie that came out about them because I will say it SUCKED). But the interview is way cool because you get to hear the bands he was playing in between the interview. This is a very good insight into my youth and why I am who I am.  (If you just want to hear about what was going on in the cool LA night scene back then, just listen to the beginning of the last video–PART 2 of the interview...it's amazing. When I listen to it, I get chills. It was way before my time, but just as cool in the 80s and 90s. This is the part of LA that I thought was amazing...this underground scene I was too young to know in person with girl Punk bands and garage shows. But Rodney's show allowed me to listen and get to know it well even if I was a kid.) Enjoy. x PPS It's really good and crazy...he plays a song for Brooke Shield's birthday and someone calls in with a collect call saying they're Jim Morrison (um, Jim Morrison died like years before 1978.) It's pretty funny.♡

No comments: