11.14.2010

SUNDAY MATINEE ♥ THE FABULOUS STAINS!




Ladies and Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains is one of my all-time standard favorite films. I can't remember how I got turned onto it. But, after I watched it, I was shocked that I had never heard of it. It's PURE. And...there are a lot of other reasons. I won't get into too much about the film, like how the cast includes some amazing people like a really young 15-year-old Diane Lane (pre-pre The Outsiders!), Laura Dern as a teen, the lead dude from The Tubes (Fee Waybill), Paul Simonon of The Clash (!!!) and some of the dudes (Steve Jones and Paul Cook) from a band called The Sex Pistols (!), because you can watch two really short videos below that tell you about the history of the film plus how it influenced some of the most successful female band members from Bikini Kill and L7 and others. But I will say that when I first came to LA, I was a kid...I couldn't go anywhere to do anything. But LA was thriving. And there were many many great punk rock bands but even moreso there were a ton of really kick ass GIRL punk rock bands, like The Go-Go's (even when they started, they were still super cool), The Pandoras, The Screaming Sirens and a lot of other ones I can't even remember.  I used to listen to them on Rodney Bingenheimer's radio show on Sunday nights at midnight while my parents were all asleep. And, I didn't have headphones. So I literally pressed my ear to the speaker so no one would wake up and make me got to bed. And those bands still, to this day, influence how I write, dress, think, art direct, everything. I think one of the best things about this film is how Diane's character, Corinne "Third Degree" Burns, is sexy and hot and practically naked, but unlike a lot of the girls now, she's like, "Fuck you...I don't put out!" I think a lot of the girls back then in those punk bands were like that, too. They ruled the dudes. I wish they had more about who styled the girls...because this film was made in the 80s (waaaay before those girl bands I listened to were around), and it's obvious how much it influenced soooo many girls from the 80s. Anyway...watch it if you can. I bought the movie...and I've watched it at least 300 times. (That's how I am.) Diane is absolutely amazing in this film. A ma zing. Hope you like it as much as I have. You'll def be able to figure out which female band girls in the 80s and 90s got their style tricks from this film. Easily.♡

gorgeous style. i'm going to do this for halloween next year...
so good
what a great shot from the film. genius. the girls are called "skunks" in the film. obviously cuz of their hair.
amazing shot from the scene below.

amazing.

this is a great shot from a great scene where you get to see the full outfit with her cardigan.







more sunday matinee ♥ parenthetical girls

images from
http://www.nashvillescene.com, http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com
http://history.sffs.org,captivewildwoman.blogspot.com, enchantedroyals.blogspot.com

No comments: