11.05.2010

FRIDAY FANCY ♥ DAVID FOOTE RULES!

When I lived in New York, my home and haunts were in the Lower East Side. Like a lot of other people I know. A lot of cool kids were a part of the scene back then in that neighborhood. One of them was what I like to refer to as an IT KID. She knew everyone, was loved by everyone, was invited to everything by everyone and she did her own thing. She also had a core group of friends who were and are all great talents with huge personalities and a fantastic sense of humor teamed with mad-ass drive. They were all mad creators. This friend of mine used to rave about David Foote . That he was funny. That he was always working on a new project or film. That he was a great friend. I met him briefly before I took off, but our paths crossed more than once. I used to think he was a film maker only...but I was wrong. A couple of years later, I heard about his NEW GIRLS exhibit of amazing girly illustrations. It was a success. NUTS in fact. Then came other projects. He recently had another exhibit open as well as a book launch that is doing really well. So I had to reconnect with him, and I'm glad I did. Because not only is he driven and talented and funny as hell, he's also incredibly genuine. If you watch the videos, it might come off like he's really not...but he gets "it"...and I love it when people get what I'm saying without my having to really spell it all out. SO...I got to ask him about his new book and projects, even though he was really busy preparing for the recent opening of his MADONNA AND CHILD exhibit, which  looks gorgeous. I love his illustration style, his humor and his energy. He's definitely someone I hope to get a chance to work with sometime in the near future. (And I'll definitely have to buy some of his work as soon as I move into a new space...)

from MADONNA AND CHILD exhibit
from MADONNA AND CHILD exhibit
WHEN I FIRST MET YOU, OR HEARD OF YOU, I HEARD YOU WERE A FILM MAKER. BUT THEN SLOWLY I'D HEAR ALL KINDS OF THINGS THAT YOU WERE WORKING ON. AND I'D ALSO HEAR ABOUT HOW TALENTED YOU ARE. TELL ME ABOUT SOME OF THE THINGS YOU DO AND HOW YOU SEE YOURSELF...DO YOU STILL WORK ON FILMS?
Funny you should say that  I have a film that's being put together right now Amanda Mackey is casting and producing. Through the past four years I've been focusing on fine art and simultaneously directing music videos and writing screenplays. Film has always been the ultimate goal for me, and this venture into fine art has really helped me fine tune what I want to see on the screen both conceptually and esthetically.

above and below from David Foote's NEW GIRLS exhibit

TELL ME ABOUT THE NEW GIRLS SHOW... 
The New Girls series was my first show. I did it to get it out of my system and I never expected such a response. You tend to underestimate and moreover under appreciate the things you do innately and for me drawing and painting has always been second nature, so I never gave it the importance I would of given say.... making a film.  That show really helped me value and embrace what it is that I do and what I have always done.

watch video from the NEW GIRLS exhibit below:

i LOVE this

TELL ME ABOUT THE NEW BOOK... 
The book is called Modern Fairies Dwarves Goblins and Other Nasties. It was a collaboration with author Lesley M.M. Blume. It was released September 14th and it became best seller in the ranks of Amazon a week after its release. The book was a wonderful experience; it brought me back to a more innocent place. I never thought I would enjoy working on children's books. It was never something that called out to me. But after reading Lesley's manuscript, I was tremendously inspired and I wanted to complement her incredible words with images that would hopefully inspire the children reading it. Lesley and I are working on a new book coming out spring 2012 called The World Before Us.

watch the book trailer below:


You can find more on David here http://www.davidfootestudio.com  and also check out his film site  http://www.fluorescentfilms.com. The details for MADONNA AND CHILD exhibit are below. Go check it out if you are in NYC-yo! (And remember his name...!)♡



more friday fancy ♥ d&g la dolce vita

all images courtesy of david foote (so don't steal them, plz!)

No comments: