5.04.2011

WEDNESDAY WONDER ♥ SAVAGE BEAUTY

Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty exhibition opens at the MET in NYC:


A bit about Lee Alexander McQueen from his schoolmate and friend, Stella McCartney and Sarah Burton:



If you've never been to New York and/or you've never been to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, then this might not seem as huge huge huge as it really is. The MET is a massive museum and quite an old building in New York. It's a sight and the shows are impeccably done. Though I saw some of the attendees dressed to the nines in McQueen (mostly models), most of the guest looked like cheesy Oscar nominees. I'm so tired of their looks. Bleh. :)  At the very least you can see some of the exhibit here and more of it on the official Met page. SAVAGE BEAUTY at the Costume Institute runs May4-July 31, 2011. Check out the videos they have put together for the show on the Met blog. Long Live McQueen. :( (I don't understand why everyone attending didn't wear McQueen. I mean, I understand they all couldn't get a piece on loan then they could surely wear something less couture and more casual but still have it be McQueen. It was a gala, but it was also McQueen. Surely showing up in anything by him would have been apropos. I mean, at the Chanel show at the Met, everyone was in Chanel...very odd.) If you know someone in New York, be sure to have them pick up an exhibit catalog for you or order it online. One thing I founds quite disturbing is the cheesy stuff they have for sale as mementos from the show...I mean, I love the catalogue and the posters, etc....but the plastic black lipstick pen (like the ones you buy at the Marc stores which I love then) for 3 bucks....are you kidding me? And the armadillo shoe magnet? Very odd. Isn't that the stuff that McQueen hated? Am I missing something here? (I think it's worth going to this show for so many reasons, of course....but as you see in the videos, they have the Kate Moss hologram there, too....I would LOVE to see this.)♡



one of my favorite McQueen moments.
THE HORN OF PLENTY, AUTUMN WINTER 2009-10
VOSS, SPRING SUMMER 2001
IT'S ONLY A GAME, SPRING SUMMER 2005
THE GIRL WHO LIVED IN A TREE, AUTUMN WINTER 2008-9
THE GIRL WHO LIVED IN A TREE, AUTUMN WINTER 2008-9


more wednesday bag ♥ stella bags (and dots)

images of exhibit are just screen captures
images of individual pieces from the met blog

No comments: