5.23.2011

MAKEUP MONDAY ♥ MASCARA MASCARA

I thought I might carry on a bit with some of my new and old favorites, seeing as I'm a devoted/loyal product user UNTIL something more amazing comes along or catches my attention. And, like I mentioned in other posts, I've been looking and experimenting with all the latest brands and products with all this new technology. 

Mascara is a must. Though for years I didn't wear it and not too many people even noticed I didn't have any on. I like the non-mascara look sometimes. I have good lashes...I have long lashes. But when it comes to mascara, I still want something that makes my lashes look AMAZING. Lately my bare lashes haven't felt like enough...only because now I'm liking the mascara again. (Truth be told...whenever I have met a new boyfriend, I've had almost-full make up on. But once we've become serious, they all tend to say they prefer less make up, which never made any sense to me, :) and I didn't mind it.) That's not to say I don't LOVE mascara. You'll see when my book comes out (Yes! I've been working with an amazing artist named Chris Bettig on the cover ideas), that there is a ton of beauty in there and a ton of make up how-to and a ton of mentions about MASCARA. Though, it's a fiction book and not a how-to cosmetic book at all. But back to mascara.


So onto it...I wanted to tell you about one that I've been using maybe since I was a teenager and another one I just started using that I LOVE LOVE. The first will not surprise you. It's L'OREAL'S VOLUMINOUS in Carbon Black. The Carbon Black factor is newish. But I remember my best friend and I in high school and after high school always always wearing this. And I've always had it in my make up bag. My mother uses it, too. It's a very lush mascara that makes your lashes full and long. Full and long and lush...I say it creates "Teddy bear lashes". It can flake sometimes, but it's a pretty good staple piece to any cosmetic collection. 


The new one that I am loving....mind you, I've been trying out all kinds of mascara over the past few years. I used to have truckloads of product sent and delivered to me to review when I was a proper magazine editor...I've tried a lot. But I've never really given up on my Voluminous for these other mascaras. I don't know...these days I think I have a new love. It's RIMMEL'S LASH ACCELERATOR in Extreme Black. (I do like a brown mascara every once in a while when I prefer a more natural look.) This mascara is amazing! It's a mascara with "grow-lash complex" which means it has something in it that will help your lashes grow, and...IT WORKS. Yes, I know I said I have long lashes. But lately I think I've fried the ends whilst smelling lit candles (stupid, I know...but true). And I was worried they wouldn't grow back the way they were before I burned the lash tips. And when you get a bit older, your lashes get a bit light and a bit thinner than when you were 20 years old. I was gob-smacked at how LONG they were in a day or two. I'm not kidding. My lashes look like extensions. No, I'm not going to take a photo because it just won't come out, but I'm telling you the truth. I LOVE this mascara so much that I almost want to wear it while I'm sleeping just to reap the effect! The only thing is when you apply it to your lashes, you have to be careful until it dries. It does not dry instantly as other mascaras do. That's the only thing about it you have to be aware of. And I'm fine with that after I see the results. I haven't really used it on the bottom lashes yet, so I don't know if it has a lot of melting going on. But I doubt it. 


I know there are a ton of really amazing famous legendary expensive designer mascaras out there, and I've used those, too. And I do love them. But mascara is one product that I don't think it's necessary to spend so much on as there are really good products right at your drugstore. Spend that extra cash on something like blush or lipstick....I think it's more worth it to do it that way. 

Ok....this is kind of ridiculous. Clearly Zooey Deschanel is wearing fake lashes. Why do they do that? It's like the dumbest thing a cosmetic company can do for a product that actually works. Because it says "it doesn't and we have to use fake lashes to make you think it does."  It actually works, but this is not the way your lashes will look. All winged out at the ends.
So check it out. And let me know what you think. I am addicted to the new Rimmel mascara, and I don't know how to tell my long-time favorite that it's close to being fully replaced. Maybe I'll just let my lashes do the talking. ♡

more makeup monday ♥ paper-cut lashes

No comments: