4.27.2011

WEDNESDAY BAG ♥ THE FASCINATOR

Does everyone know what a fascinator is? I was thinking maybe the super young kids are now using this word frequently? Dunno. Just a guess. I personally think it's a lovely word and I love what it refers to. Here's the definition from Wikipedia:

A fascinator is a headpiece, a style of millinery. The word originally referred to a fine, lacy head covering akin to a shawl and made from wool or lace. The term had fallen almost into disuse by the 1970s.[1]
In the early 21st century, the term has made a comeback, but the meaning has slightly changed; it is now used to describe a delicate, slightly-to-very frivolous head decoration worn almost exclusively by women. A fascinator may be worn instead of a hat to occasions where hats were traditionally worn—such as weddings—or as an evening accessory, when it may be called a cocktail hat. It is generally worn with fairly formal attire.

Pretty fabulous, right? Maybe we're all headed back to days when no lady left their house without a hat? Or a fascinator? Fascinating...? (I couldn't resist.)
Here are some lovely fascinators I found online for y'all....they're all made by a really talented girl who calls her company TOPSY TURVY DESIGN. She is talented! I really like how she doesn't just stick to bridal designs. 

i love these butterfly fascinators on vintage mannequin heads.


really clever and so useful for a photo shoot. which is probably why her work has been featured all over on tv and print!

And then I got to looking through the rest of her hats and I found something I LOVE LOVE...it's called the PRINCE POPPYCOCK (my mother and I were big fans of Prince Poppycock and wish him big success!)...the PRINCE POPPYCOCK 18TH CENTURY TRICORN ! I'm not sure this counts as a fascinator, but maybe perhaps because it is quite small? I will definitely have to get one of those as soon as I have an extra $200 to spend on a hat! :) 

gorgeous and gorgeous mannequin

one day i will own this!
And here is a pic from her etsy site of Prince Poppycock! No, I didn't watch the show. But my mother did and she called me over to watch him and I loved the costume and act. PS My dear friend Adele Mildred who drew the lovely girl in my logo actually works with Stephen Jones (yes, THE Stephen Jones)...so maybe one day when she comes up for air, I can get her to make me a gorgeous fascinator. :)♡

prince poppycock


more wednesday wonder ♥ giles

images from topsy turvy design

No comments: